Logistics & Private Itineraries
ANDES can arrange logistics for your expedition or holiday, or a guide for a private climbing trip. We can make all sorts of arrangements with many different organisations throughout South America. We have worked reliably with many of these organisations and South American mountain guides for over twenty years. We can book and arrange any combination of the following services :-
Transport, 4x4 Hire, Hotels and other Accommodation, Pack Animals and/or Porters, Permits, Mountain Food, Mess Tents & Cook Staff, Local Guides (both trek guides and IFMGA mountain guides).
Our terms and conditions for these trips are different to those we use for our scheduled expeditions. Please note that with logistics only arrangements and private itineraries your contract will be with the South American organisation or guide and not with ANDES.
Areas of the Andes where we have good specialist expertise and long term, reliable, local contacts:-
Venezuela & the Sierra Nevada de Merida
Quito & Ecuador Volcanoes
Huaraz & the Cordillera Blanca in northern Peru
Cuzco, the Inca trail & the Cordillera Vilcanota in Southern Peru
La Paz & the Cordillera Real in Bolivia
Mendoza & Aconcagua
Bariloche area - skiing, climbing and trekking
If you have a group of friends and your own ideas about where or when you'd like to go to the Andes or what you'd like to do please get in touch.
In recent years ANDES have run treks in Peru, climbs in Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia and Venezuela, ski-mountaineering trips in Chile and ascents of Aconcagua for groups varying in size from two to twenty. We have run these for couples, groups of friends, families, ski clubs, military organisations and school groups.
With my extensive knowledge of the mountains I can organise trips in many parts of the Andes. The huge knowledge I have of the Andes as a whole means I will always help you select the area and activity that's best for you. I won't arrange a duff one week skiing holiday in Portillo, or a wet climbing trip to Ecuador like other operators do just because they are the easiest things to arrange. I will organise the trip you really want to remember for the rest of your life.
Being a small business with maximum flexibility means we can quote competitive prices for groups of just two with a South American leader. Whatever level of organisation and guiding you want I can organise it, from a fully inclusive trip for three weeks, to just a few pre-arranged mules on Aconcagua. I have experience of organising and leading mountain-bike, trekking, mountaineering, skiing and ski-mountaineering expeditions.
Resting just beneath the summit of Volcan Guallatiri. In February 2015 we ran a trip here for an international school, and everyone, all guides, teachers and pupils made it to the summit.
"Private Itineraries" are defined as those where "John Biggar t/a ANDES" take a commission for arranging a trekking or skiing itinerary or a guided climbing expedition with a South American organisation or leader.
1. Your contract is with the local operator in South America. You should be clear that you will receive a different standard of service to that provided on trips led by John Biggar himself (or other western leaders). The South American operator is responsible for all ground arrangements in South America. In the event of any problems or disputes over fees or itineraries you will have to resolve these locally yourselves.
2. Acting as agents ANDES monitor the performance of all operators and use only operators who have been reliable in the past, but we cannot be held responsible for specific problems that you encounter on your holiday.
3. An agents fee (normally 12%, with a minimum of £200) will be taken by ANDES for setting up the itinerary to cover office administration and communication costs. This fee will also act as a non-refundable deposit. On receipt of the fee we will pass on contact details for your South American leader or agency.
4. In the event of any problem contacting your South American leader on arrival please contact the office in Scotland by phone or e-mail and we will offer every assistance we can.
5. It is the responsibility of the party leader to make sure all relevant documentation is passed on to all members of the group who are booking.
6. On return from your holiday we will send you a brief questionnaire concerning the service you received. We would be grateful if you could fill this in and return it to us so that we can monitor the performance of the people we recommend!
David Roberts skiing Volcan Llaima, private ski-mountaineering expedition for five clients, September 2001.
Pissis from the Laguna Azul. We ran a private trip for a couple to this peak, the third highest in the Andes, in February 2008.