Site last updated on Monday 30th May 2016.
Bolivia Ski Explorer. This itinerary visits a country we know well to explore some of the highest mountains on skis. We aim to keep the itinerary fairly flexible to make the best use of snow conditions for ski-mountaineering, but plan to ski one high 5800m+ or 6000m peak after an initial phase of skiing several 5000-5500m peaks. Pictured above skiing back down at 5400m on Mururata, 2014 Bolivian Ski Explorer expedition.
Click on the link or the picture above for more info or to make a booking.!
Information about the climbing and trekking guidebooks to the Andes which I have authored. These have been translated into French, Spanish & Polish. You can purchase the English & Spanish editions on this website.
I can provide or organise logistical support for many types of mountain expeditions, in many parts of the Andes. In the past ANDES have organised treks, ski holidays, expeditions and guided climbing for private individuals, groups of friends, schools, clubs and military groups
Every year I schedule a small number of unique and interesting expeditions to the Andes and Latin America. Many of these are First Ascents and other exploratory expeditions. I lead the vast majority of these myself, as many as 90% most years, with one or two selected trips sub-contracted to other qualified and experienced leaders.
In addition to the scheduled expeditions and courses I organise, which are mainly in the Andes, I can lead treks, expeditions and straightforward ski-touring trips in many diverse parts of the world.
Scottish Climbing Instruction (opens in Johnbiggar.com website)
I also regularly instruct winter climbing, rock climbing and ski mountaineering in all parts of Scotland. In the past I have run winter skills weekends, week long winter courses and guided ascents of classic rock climbs for individuals, Mountain Rescue Teams and clubs.
Why book with ANDES and John Biggar?
- Past Successes. Many of the mountaineering expeditions to the Andes that I organise offer those critical extra 2 or 3 days and low guide to client ratios necessary for success on a big mountain.
- We're Good. I am highly recommended by past customers. Have a look at the Customer Satisfaction page for further details. Not surprisingly I have very high repeat booking rates and referral booking rates and run a lot of private itineraries. That's why I haven't advertised much for more than ten years.
- We're Specialists. I personally have MORE experience of operating mountaineering, skiing and trekking expeditions to South America than anyone else in the world. I have more than twenty-five years of experience climbing and skiing in the Andes. I have climbed over 300 of the 5000m+ summits and skiied on over 100 summits in Patagonia.
- We get lots of Repeat Business. I have many satisfied customers, including some who have completed more than ten expeditions with me. Thom from Scotland just recently climbed his 20th 6000m+ peak in the Andes. All these were climbed with myself as a guide and organiser..... although I do have to say that he's put a lot of effort in himself!
- Small Groups. My maximum group size on all regular courses and expeditions is four. Smaller groups are more flexible and much less intrusive in remote mountain areas. Have a look at the 'Our Style' page for further details.
Andes Guidebooks Details of the guidebooks I author and publish - 'The Andes - A Guide for Climbers' and its E-book, French, Spanish and Polish editions. The 4th English edition of "The Andes - A Guide for Climbers" was published in March 2015 and the E-book version of this 4th edition in November 2015. Spanish and French editions of this guidebook were published in 2007 and 2009, and a Polish edition in 2012.
Guidebook, Photo and Map Library Information about the extensive guidebook, photo and map library I maintain at the office in Castle Douglas.
For further details of the services I can offer, more information on the mountains of South America, or to purchase my guidebooks please contact me at
or by phone 01556 503929 from the UK, + 44 1556 503929 from elsewhere in the world.
You are also welcome to write or visit at
Andes, 37a St. Andrew Street, Castle Douglas, Kirkcudbrightshire, DG7 1EN, SCOTLAND
The office is located in the middle of the town of Castle Douglas, which lies in Galloway in southern Scotland about half-way between the towns of Kirkcudbright and Dumfries.
If you experience any problems with this website (even if it's just a missing picture or missing link) or with the e-mail address please let me know using the above numbers or the alternate email address.
This website, including all photos (unless otherwise credited), maps, lists, diagrams and text © 1997-2016 John Biggar t/a Andes. Unauthorised reproduction prohibited. If you wish to use any material from this site please contact me for permission first; permission will usually be granted for non-commercial use providing you give full credit and link directly back to this website.
Free Information Files & Photo Galleries on this Website