Site last updated on Thursday 30th November 2023.
Our calendar of expeditions for 2024 features new trips like our First Ascents in Peru and Bolivia 6000m+ scheduled for May and June 2024 respectively, alongside older itineraries such as our Chilean and Patagonia Ski Explorer.
Peru 6000+ is based out of the city of Arequipa in southern Peru, this expedition will climb two high peaks in this part of Peru. After an initial three nights in Arequipa to acclimatise we will travel to Chivay at a height of 3500m in the Colca canyon for four more nights of acclimatisation. While here we'll visit the famous viewpoint which gives unparalleled views of condors soaring in the early morning sunshine....read more here.....
about the climbing and trekking guidebooks to the Andes which John Biggar has
authored. These have been translated into French, Spanish, Czech & Polish. You can purchase the
English edition through this
website. The 5th English edition was
published in February 2020.
We can provide
or organise logistical support for many types of mountain expeditions, in many parts of the
Andes. In the past ANDES have organised treks, ski holidays, expeditions and
guided climbing for private individuals, groups of friends, schools, clubs
and military groups
We can provide or organise logistical support for many types of mountain expeditions, in many parts of the Andes. In the past ANDES have organised treks, ski holidays, expeditions and guided climbing for private individuals, groups of friends, schools, clubs and military groups
Every year ANDES schedule a small number of unique and interesting expeditions to the Andes and Latin America. Many of these are First Ascents and other exploratory expeditions. The majority of these are led by John Biggar in person, with one or two selected trips being led or co-led by other qualified and experienced leaders.
In addition to the scheduled expeditions and courses that john Biggar/ANDES organise, we can organise instructional courses, expeditions and straightforward ski-touring trips in many diverse parts of the world.
Scottish Climbing Instruction (opens in Johnbiggar.com website)
John Biggar can also instruct winter climbing, scrambling, rock climbing and ski-mountaineering in all parts of Scotland. In the past I've run winter skills and ski-touring weekends, week long winter courses and guided ascents of classic rock climbs for individuals, families, Mountain Rescue Teams and clubs.
This page tells you more about John Biggar and ANDES. Who runs the business and where our office is located.
Why book with ANDES and John Biggar?
- Past Successes. Many of the mountaineering expeditions to the Andes that we organise offer those critical extra 2 or 3 days and low guide:client ratios necessary for success on a big mountain.
- We're Good. We are highly recommended by past customers. Have a look at the Customer Satisfaction page for further details. Not surprisingly we have very high repeat booking rates and referral booking rates and run a lot of private itineraries. That's why we have hardly advertised for more than ten years.
- We're Specialists. John Biggar personally has MORE experience of operating mountaineering, skiing and trekking expeditions to South America than anyone else in the world. He has more than twenty-five years of experience climbing and skiing in the Andes and has climbed over 350 of the 5000m+ summits and skiied on over 100 different peaks in Patagonia.
- We get lots of Repeat Business. We have many satisfied customers, including some who have completed more than ten expeditions with us. Thom from Scotland has climbed 30 major 6000m+ peaks in the Andes with us. All these were climbed with John as a guide and organiser..... although we should point out that Thom has put a lot of effort in himself over the years!
- Small Groups. Smaller groups are more flexible and much less intrusive in remote mountain areas. Our maximum group size on all regular courses and expeditions is four. Have a look at the 'Our Style' page for further details.
Andes Guidebooks Details of the guidebooks we publish - 'The Andes - A Guide for Climbers and Skiers' and its E-book, French, Spanish, Czech and Polish editions. The 5th English edition was published in February 2020 with the E-book version following in June 2021. Spanish and French editions of this guidebook were published in 2007 and 2009, a Polish edition in 2012 and a Czech edition in 2019. A Spanish 2nd edition E-book was published in September 2021.
Guidebook, Photo and Map Library Information about the extensive guidebook, photo and map library I maintain at the office in Castle Douglas.
For further details of the services John Biggar can offer, more information on the mountains of South America, or to purchase guidebooks please contact us at
or by phone 01556 503929 from the UK, + 44 1556 503929 from elsewhere in the world.
You are also welcome to write or visit at
John Biggar, ANDES, 37a St. Andrew Street, Castle Douglas, Kirkcudbrightshire, DG7 1EN, SCOTLAND
The office is located in the middle of the town of Castle Douglas, which lies in Galloway in southern Scotland about half-way between the towns of Kirkcudbright and Dumfries.
If you experience any problems with this website (even if it's just a missing picture or missing link) or with the e-mail address please let us know using the above numbers or our alternate root email address firstname.lastname@example.org .
This website, including all photos (unless otherwise credited), maps, lists, diagrams and text are © 1997-2023 John Biggar. Unauthorised reproduction is prohibited by copyright law. If you wish to use any material from this site please contact us for permission first; permission will usually be granted for non-commercial use providing you give full credit and link directly back to this website.
Free Information Files & Photo Galleries on this Website